Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chinese Fondue (aka Hot Pot)

Hot pot (火鍋), also known as Chinese fondue or steamboat refers to several East asian varieties of stew consisting of a simmering pot of stock at the center of the dinning table. While the hot pot keep simmering, raw ingredients are placed into the pot and are cooked at the table which typically include thinly sliced meat, veggies, dumpling and seafood. Then the cooked food is usually eaten with a dipping sauce......


I'm really not a HUGE fan of hot-pot like most "HongKong-nians" who go crazy anytime of the year (not just winter)...but I still like it once in a while especially with a group of friends to catch up. I recently got invited to my friend's house for Chinese New Year for Hot Pot and last time that I went, there was ton of seafood and home made chili sauce which was super super spicy.Thanks to her mum who prepared all those yummy food =D


Just like Cheese Fondue, you'll choose your Cheese and Liquid combination, you can choose you soup base for your Chinese Fondue like plain chicken/beef stock, satay, curry, spicy etc.
That night we had one non-spicy (gingseng) and a super spicy one


We put so many food in to cook that it was overflowing =P
This spicy broof plus my friend's home made chili sauce in my dipping sauce made me sweat all the way   o(^_^)o

Mixing my dipping sauce
~ egg + Sa Cha ( 沙茶) Sauce + home made super spicy chili sauce



Seafood Platter
 ~ Octopus, Oysters, Abalone, Razor Clams & Geoduck
Nothing better than fresh seafood =P




Lobster, fish, squid & beef balls, pig skin, fish noodles

Assorted Veggies, mushroom and corn




Beef & Lamb Slices



Here's more pics from a AYCE hot pot restaurant:







2 comments:

  1. Hot pot is so amazing, but I can't eat it because 99% of the time I get stomach aches afterwards. I dunno what the hell it is...I'm thinking it's because I'm so impatient so I eat food that is not fully cooked yet or I don't wait until the water boils LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. same here (~O~) LOL, that why I rarely go Hot pot and hate how everything basically will taste the same

    ReplyDelete