Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Taste the Season (Day 2)

After Day 1 here where we visited 11 wineries out of 26... we were well rested and ready to finish all stops on our Taste the Season pass.








2010 Gewurztraminer Riesling w/ Warm Pulled Pork on freshly baked baguette
Great refreshing crisp white to start the day pair perfectly with the pull pork which was top with choice of 2 wine jelly.


13th stop : Hillebrand Winery

2008 Showcase Wild Ferment Chardonnay w/ Truffle Mushroom Broth with Age Cheddar Scone
You can see my previous post here and here.
Intense Truffle mushroom flavor (same broth was served with a ravioli during our tasting menu last time and pair with the same Chardonnay, see post here) but the scone was a bit too moist which stick in your mouth.... the scone didn't really go with the yummy broth, wish we got a piece of bread instead



2007 Select Late Harvest Riesling w/ Gingerbread Cookie Sandwich filled with Lemon Creme



2008 Triomphe Chardonnay w/ Prosciutto & Pear Crostada with Smoked Comfort Cream
As I've mention in my previous visit here, this is one of my all time favorite winery (^_^)
and it just happen that the are serving of of my fave Chardonnay (bought a bottle last time and one more this time). But I have to say that the biscuit here was very soggy since this was prepare ahead of time and kept warm in the oven.... they should definitely should have assembled when served.



2006 Grape Brain Cabernet Merlot w/ Italian Pecorino Cheese on French Baguette topped w/ Shiitake Mushroom & a drizzle of Biodynamic Crete Extra Virgin Olive Oil
This wine didn't agree with me at all, not only didn't like the taste but I felt sick after drinking this which end up ruining my next 2 stops (>'_'<)



2008 Barrel Fermented Chardonnay w/ Profiterole Filled with Roasted Butternut Squash & Quebec Cheddar Cheese.


2007 Pinot Noir Estate Bottled w/Roasted Mushroom Salad Crostini w/Truffle Aioli & Pickled Onions
Very pretty inside, too bad I couldn't fully enjoy this since I was still not feeling well from stop 16 but the crostini was super delicious. Will definitely have to come back to try their other wine =P




2009 Insieme Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah/Merlot w/ Spezzatino, a Medley of meat, veggies & Portobello in a Decadent Tomato sauce
This is a very new Winery, so new that I haven't heard of it and it's still under construction =P
But the pairing was delish and would love to come back to try their other wine, maybe when their construction is complete... 
a big fountain in the front is under construction which will complete the Italian Village look
(sorry for the blurry picture, was raining)



2009 Cabernet Merlot w/ Braised Short rib Taco w/Pickled Pearl Onions, Grated Horseradish
Coyote have been wining several award this year and that's why I was excited to try it out...
and the taco was prepare by El Gastronomo Vagabundo, one of my fave food truck that I blog about here and it does not disappoint (wish their truck was here)



2010 Ravine Sand and Gravel Cabernet Franc w/ Lamb Confit with Caramelized Mushroom & Shropshire Blue
They have a Bistro that I would love to try next time I'm there =P





2009 Jamie's New Signature Series Big red Icewine w/ Poire Passion: Sliced Pear Round w/ Crisp Pancetta, Niagara Gold Cheese & Northern Ice Riesling Reduction
as I mention before, I'm not a big fan of icewine.... but the pairing was pretty good and we also got an extra complimentary shot of Icewine slushy ;)






















2009 Cabernet Franc w/ Crispy Skin Duck w/ Cherry Compote


24th stop : Inniskillin Wines
2007 Vidal Icewine w/ Icewine Sausage with Carmelized Onion Mustard
Inniskillin have won multiple award for their Ice Wines and are sold all over the world. They even design their own icewine glass with Riedel call Vinum Extreme Icewine glass to display the full range of flavor, texture and aromatice of icewine (you could ask them to serve you both in a regular glass and this glass to see the difference it make)
See my last visit here























25th stop : Reif Estate Winery
2008 Chardonnay Reserve w/ Mutsu Apple, Bacon, Cold Pack Cheddar & Walnut Sage Pesto Pizza
The pizza have probably been sitting there the whole day =(


2007 Merlot w/ Prosciutto Slathered with Fig Spread Served on a Garlic Toast
Last stop and we just make it before 5pm but there was a lot of food leftover here and we were offer 2nds =P




Verdict :
26 Wineries in 2 Days, what an incredible experience (^_^)
See Day 1 post here
Can't wait for next month's Days of Wine & Chocolate 

3 comments:

  1. I love Chateau Des Charmes. It's so beautiful. My favourite of their wines is the Gewurztraminer. If you go back, try a sample of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noted, I'm going back in February for teh Wine and Chocolate event... so I'll def try that =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much wine! I don't know how you guys do it.. haha

    ReplyDelete