Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Woods Restaurant

Have been meaning to come to Woods Restaurant (@woodstoronto) since AKS event here and I had change our reservation several time due to our schedule. We finally made it there the day before Ben's birthday this past Friday. Somehow they have been following me on twitter and learn about his bday, Chef Bruce Woods (formally Brasaii, Centro & Modus) kindly greeted us with Sparkling Wine as we sat down.
Brasaii and Centro
 With a quick one-month renovation from the former Colborne Lane space, the high ceiling, exposed brick with wooden theme throughout the space. The space was very inviting especially with the large windows that bring in some natural light. Very elegant and yet has an organic feel to it
Since leaving his place at the Bay St. staple Modus Restaurant about 6 months ago, I had been following Woods (also formally of Brasaii and Centro) to find out what he’d get into next. Now, back when I heard that Colborne Lane (one of Toronto’s only long-standing attempts at molecular gastronomy) was closing, I was disappointed to say the least. But when I found what would be taking its place, I wiped my foodie tears and made a reservation. Yep, with a quickie one-month renovation and turnaround, Bruce Woods opened up one hell of a spot alongside co-owner Robin Singh (Pravda Vodka House) and Anthony Davis as Chef de Cuisine (Sidecar, Cowbell, The Roosevelt Room). - See more at: http://www.abbeyskitchen.com/blog/woods-toronto-early-restaurant-review/#sthash.teNAcmSz.dpuf

Since leaving his place at the Bay St. staple Modus Restaurant about 6 months ago, I had been following Woods (also formally of Brasaii and Centro) to find out what he’d get into next. Now, back when I heard that Colborne Lane (one of Toronto’s only long-standing attempts at molecular gastronomy) was closing, I was disappointed to say the least. But when I found what would be taking its place, I wiped my foodie tears and made a reservation. Yep, with a quickie one-month renovation and turnaround, Bruce Woods opened up one hell of a spot alongside co-owner Robin Singh (Pravda Vodka House) and Anthony Davis as Chef de Cuisine (Sidecar, Cowbell, The Roosevelt Room). - See more at: http://www.abbeyskitchen.com/blog/woods-toronto-early-restaurant-review/#sthash.teNAcmSz.dpuf



The wine list range from local to imports and are all very reasonably priced form $10-15 a glass and most bottles from $40-75 while some pricier ones like a $380 Tuscan Red is also available. While the beer list are mostly local Canadian microbrews.


Since leaving his place at the Bay St. staple Modus Restaurant about 6 months ago, I had been following Woods (also formally of Brasaii and Centro) to find out what he’d get into next. Now, back when I heard that Colborne Lane (one of Toronto’s only long-standing attempts at molecular gastronomy) was closing, I was disappointed to say the least. But when I found what would be taking its place, I wiped my foodie tears and made a reservation. Yep, with a quickie one-month renovation and turnaround, Bruce Woods opened up one hell of a spot alongside co-owner Robin Singh (Pravda Vodka House) and Anthony Davis as Chef de Cuisine (Sidecar, Cowbell, The Roosevelt Room). - See more at: http://www.abbeyskitchen.com/blog/woods-toronto-early-restaurant-review/#sthash.teNAcmSz.dpuf
Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 Crew (Ontario) $65
We originally wanted to go with a safe one from Tawse that we had before but our server suggested this one saying that it's one of his favorite. I am surprise that he notice that we wanted something local and suggest an Ontario wine to us.
Never heard of this winery before but love the strong robust flavor of this wine with a rather chewy tannis finish. Loved it so much that we are tempted to go to the winery one day.


 Yes, I know it's a boring picture of a piece of bread but I just wanted to mention that they made their this sour dough bread in house and it was so good that I think I had at least 3 slices.


 Seared Quebec Foie Gras $19
~ Purple potato puree, lobster mushrooms, bacon crispy confit, Saskatoon Compote
 I can never resist ordering foie gras each time I see it on the menu and this was no exception. Not only was it cook perfectly but doesn't it look so pretty with the purple potato puree, the greens on the blank white plate... it's like a piece of art work.


Venison Carpaccio $16
~ Black Trumpets, Wild Leek, Corn Nuts, Seedlings
 We were pleasantly surprise at how tender this venison can be, it was perfectly seasoned with the right amount of gaminess to it which was further complimented by the trumpets and the crunchiness of the corn nuts. Ben is having a really tough time forgetting this =P


The most delicious Mini Hot Dog you can ever have.... perfect crispy casing, perfect flavor, perfect sweet relish and a perfect toasted soft pillowy roll. Thanks Chef for this amazing fun amuse.


 Roasted Muscovy Duck Breast $28
~ Tatsoi, shallot, sourdough croutons, crispy confit, dried cherries, duck egg béarnaise
 This was cook so perfect, just how I like it since I do find it overcook and chewy in a lot of places. The duck itself was very lightly seasoned which work here so that I can taste the natural duck flavor which was further complimented by the tart cherries and slight mustard-y kick from the tatsoi.


 Chicken Cordon Blue $26
~ Prosciutto cotto, monforte paradiso, chicken jus, Jerusalem artichoke, roasted pepper & black olive salad
 Ben was so tempted to order the steak and chose this one instead since chicken tends to take more skills to cook than steak. This was no disappointment, although being all white chick breast meat it was tender and juicy with a thin crispy outer layer. It was perfect with the intense chicken jus and the olives salad on the side.


Buckthorn Pavlova $11
~ Buckthorn curd, milk chocolate ganache, black sesame ice cream
 What a cute presentation and thanks for doing this even though I didn't requested it (^_^)
Even though it was so pretty and we weren't sure if we should dig in, we eventually did after admiring it for a minute and everything on this dish (except for the candle) was so delicious.


Raspberry Macaronnade $11
~ Mascarpone mousse, basil ice cream, macaroon, raspberry tuile, texture of raspberry, salted pine nuts
The smooth and light mousse was interlace with raspberry coulis was just a beauty in the Manson jar with all the raspberry seeds peeking through. I also love how the use the jar lid to hold the ice cream but presentation aside, the basil ice cream can easily hold it's own ground and need I say extra bonus point from me since I love basil (yes, I love it so much that I can munch on it).
This is the perfect summer dessert, light and not overly sweet with a fresh outdoor airy feel to it.

And as good as the whole meal had been, the desserts here really shine.  The mousse was ethereal and light, lending its creamy rich mouthfeel to balance the bright raspberry couli.  And as delicious as it was as an accompaniment, the herbaceous basil ice cream could have easily held its own.  One bite and I literally felt like I was in a farmer’s garden smelling fresh herbs picked by the bushel- the definition of a fabulous Canadian summer. If you don’t like your desserts too cloyingly sweet, than this is the one for you. - See more at: http://www.abbeyskitchen.com/blog/woods-toronto-early-restaurant-review/#sthash.teNAcmSz.dpuf



Verdict :
 Haven't had such a fantastic meal from start to finish for a long time.
Great friendly, attentive and knowledgeable service
Great tasting and Great presentations
 Great spacious settings, def no listening to next table conversation.
 I already miss this place and hopefully I will go back soon.

Woods Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Every thing look so good and attractive, especially aim to the Foie Gras and Venison Carpaccio, even quite worry about the cholesterol...........

    ReplyDelete