Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Whippoorwill Restaurant

Heard so much good things about The Whippoorwill Restaurant (@WhippoorwillTO) that I have to make my way to the far side of Toronto. I frankly have never took the subway that far west but it was all worth the trip. It is a small narrow space at the corner of Bloor & Landsdowne in the former spot of Bloordale Pantry.
Have to say I love the diner decor with the red booth seats with an added rustic touches.
I especially love the bar area made from an old Detroit tire sign.


Why dont we do in the road $14
~ cocktail of the day

Beau's Festival $5


Muay Thai $10
I am loving the basil trend in cocktail and this one was especially delicious with the spicy black peppers.


Sardine $12
~ Special of the day 
Love everything here but wish it came with some sort of toast to balance off the saltiness of the sardines.



 Potato Gnocchi $12
~ roasted mushrooms, Swiss cheese fondue sauce & garlic scape
This was my favorite dish of the night, the mushroom was perfectly cook, the pillow-y soft flavorful gnocchi plus the plate licking good cheese sauce. If I were to have only this dish for the night, I would have been satisfied.


Whippoorwill Burger $13
~ ground prime beef, Cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, Russian dressing on a buttered bun
The patty was overcooked for me and was rather dry but you can definitely still taste the great beef flavor. But have to say I love the extra buttered on the bun and the overall flavor. The crispy potato here was perfectly crispy and perfectly moist and fluffy inside.


Pork Belly $14
~ smoked bourbon broth, hen's egg & ramen noodle
Ben insisted on ordering that being the ramen fanatic that he is but I was skeptical about ordering ramen at a non-Japanese restaurant. I can't say I liked it nor hate it, every components on it's own was good but combine, the flavors was just overpowering going on the salty side. The broth had good flavor but was way too salty and condensed.... plus the pork was just as salty as well and the event the horseradish topping was salty when mixed together.


Butterscotch Pudding $8
~ salted caramel
Don't you love the presentation?! Love how it's served in a larger jar instead of cramping everything in a mini one like most places. 
This was sweet but was rather light, perfect balance of flavor and texture from the heavier pudding to the light whipped cream to the crunchy candy and salted caramel drizzles. Everything I could wish from a dessert in a jar.





 Popcorn w/ the bill


Verdict:
Def would love to com back to try the rest of the menu 
Wouldn't mind coming back just for the Gnocchi and the butterscotch pudding (^_^)
Great cocktails, Great Food and Great Service

The Whippoorwill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment