Wednesday, May 6, 2015

16 Mile Cellar [20 Valley - Winery]


I am sure that just like me, you haven't heard of 16 Mile Cellar (@16milecellar) before but I am sure you will very soon since I was pretty impress with all 4 wine we got to taste that day. Thanks to André (@andrewinereview) for recommending me to contact the winemaker directly for a private tasting. The place was so small that they do not have staff on duty and is currently open only by appointment, so we made one while in the area for the Get Fresh event (blog post here).
 
A quick bio from their website:
16 Mile Cellar is a small, family-owned and operated winery and vineyard that started in 2010.  We are located on 16 Mile Creek, at the base of the 20 Mile Bench.  Our wines exhibit the rich soil and climate characteristics of the Niagara Escarpement. 
We are zealous winemakers and grape growers.  From planting to harvesting and from production to delivery we work hard every day to ensure that every bottle meets our exacting standards.  We have grapes planted on 25 of our 30 acre property including Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Gamay Noir, Geisenheim and old vine table grapes; some almost 100 years old.
Our goal is to produce small quantities of hand-picked, hand-made and distinctive wines each year.  By doing so, we hope to earn our customers' trust and confidence.
 
Regan Kapach (picture above), the current winemaker and previously from Southbrook was kind enough to meet up with us and offer us a tasting plus tour of their mini winery.
 

2011 Rebel Chardonnay $19.95
With peach, dried apricot and a very light floral scent, it would be perfect for backyard lounging

2011 Civility Chardonnay $24.95

With perfect acidity and with citrus peach flavor, I could totally see it age for a few years. I bought myself 2 bottles so that I can save one and still have an extra bottle if I'm tempted before then and let's just say it does happen quite often.
 
2011 Rebel Pinot Noir $22.95
With cherry and cranberry notes, although bursting with flavors I find it not as smooth a finish as I would like.
 
2011 Incivility Pinot Noir $29.95
With dark fruits flavor and a smoky notes at the end, this was definitely better than the previous one and the price totally reflect it.
 
 
Verdict:
For being an unknown winery, we found our favorite Chardonnay of the day here even for my non-white drinking Dad.
I can really see them grow in no time and soon we'll have to line up for a tasting.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment